Senior Care Resources and Information in Connecticut | #ASNCares

Don’t Let Dad Miss Out on Help Paying for Home Care as a Veteran

Care for Aging Veterans in Danbury CT

Care for Aging VeteransYour father served in the United States Army. If he served during an active time of combat, such as World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam Conflict, or the Gulf War, he may be eligible for certain pensions to help pay for home care support.

As your father gets older, he may be dealing with increased physical challenges and other limitations. This can make it difficult for him to stay safe, be productive, and even stay comfortable within his own home environment.

Depending on the situation, his doctor has recommended home care support or he can show the Veteran’s Administration a specific requirement for home care for safety or completing daily tasks, he may want to consider the Aid and Attendance Benefit.

This benefit was started following World War I. It was initially meant to help returning soldiers get the type of care they needed to overcome certain injuries, including PTSD, which at the time was known as shell shock.

Now, it has expanded to include financial support for veterans of all ages, but they do need to meet certain criteria in order to qualify.

A minimum of service time.

In order to qualify, veterans need to have served at least 90 days active duty in one of the major branches of the United States military.

At least one of their days of service needs to have fallen during an active time of combat, such as those mentioned above. This doesn’t mean your father had to fight in a combat situation, but there needs to be have been official combat that the United States was engaged in somewhere in the world for at least one day of his service time.

Honorable discharge.

As with most other pensions, your father would need to have been honorably discharged from the United States military.

Limited assets and income.

Your father needs to fall within a certain threshold when it comes to asset and income level in order to qualify for this pension. Even if he was denied on different pensions, he may still qualify for this one because the threshold levels are different.

It can help pay for home care for him, his wife, or your mother if he has already passed.

If your father would normally have qualified for this pension but has passed away, your mother may be eligible for some financial support through the Aid and Attendance Benefit. She wouldn’t receive the same amount as he would, and she would certainly have a specific need for home care assistance, but it could go a long way toward helping her stay safe and maintain a higher quality of life in the future.

If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Danbury CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Danbury, CT at 203-731-2544.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Jim Crossett

Our entire staff at SYNERGY HomeCare wishes to extend our warmest welcome to you and your family as you search for the best home care services for your loved one in need.

I am Jim Crossett, president of SYNERGY HomeCare of Danbury, Connecticut. From our conveniently located office, we serve the residents of Fairfield County including the areas of Danbury, Ridgefield, Redding, New Milford and Southbury.

As you begin your selection process for the perfect living assistance for you senior family member, you are joining the ranks of many concerned children searching for non-medical in-home help. The Danbury area is home to many senior citizens and their families who are looking for a method of care that allows them to stay in the comfort of their residence. Your elderly loved one means a great deal to you and you will not be satisfied with anything but the best for them. At SYNERGY HomeCare, we go beyond your expectations and exceed the high standards you have set for their proper care.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.